Monday, May 14, 2007

Happy Sandwich Day!

Today is sandwich day. Yesterday was mothers day. Tomorrow is my dad's birthday. So today is sandwich day. I just wanted to explain that to you....yeah im really weird. I have been in a huge get in shape kick. Im not fat. I got rid of that a couple months ago. I'm just lazy. I was telling my parents today that I think im ready to retire! im only 22 and im not even done with college, but I am ready to collect my social security check and buy my condo on the beach like the rest of the state of Florida.

So the picture above is from New Mexico. The day before Easter when I was out for my best friend Tim's wedding, me and my brother drove around our old stomping grounds, and this was one of the stops we had to see. This is where I learned to play baseball. That mound was where I spent much of my childhood. Throwing fastballs night after night. I remember when I played games on that field, I used to imagine that the mountains behind were huge grandstands, of people packed in to watch me play. It was amazing being back on that field. So much smaller than i remember it. They changed the infield grass to artificial turf, because it is impossible to grow grass in New Mexico. I remember one season, me and my brother got drafted by two different teams. The best team in the league and the worst team. My parents made us play for the worst team because they felt bad. So the entire season, this is how it went: my friend mark would get a hit to lead off, i would get a hit that would bring him home to score, and my brother would hit a homerun, and the rest of the 1o kids on the team would strike out behind us. By that time, the opposing team would have run up 10 runs, which in little league they have the "mercy rule" or the "10 run rule" which meant that if a team took a 10 run lead on your team, they would call it off. Yeah...I was the pitcher, but my outfielders used to pretend they were Power Rangers in the outfield and would wear their gloves on their head. My second basemen would think that he had to stand on second base. I pitched, Mark was the catcher, and my brother was the first basemen. And the rest of the team...thought they were playing dodge ball. If a ball came their direction they ran. That was one of the more memorable seasons i played. I remember one game it was so cold we lit a fire in the trash can to keep warm. Ahh...those were the days. In all my days of pitching...i only allowed two home runs. They both came in the same game. I was 11, and this kid was like 6'4" and had a goatee. He hit the ball harder than I have ever seen anyone hit. He could hit the ball, run around the bases and be back in the dugout before the ball even landed. At least thats what it felt like. A week later, the league found out that this kid was an illegal alien from mexico and was actually 19. No wonder he hit the ball 450 feet. True story. I swear on that.

Yesterday...me and my brother went to play baseball at a nearby high school field. Its been over a year since i played last, or even swung a bat for that matter. At first, i must have looked retarded. I swung about a half hour late on every pitch. There was a three year old kid watching, and i was actually embarassed. I missed everything. I finally got a piece of one and it hit the little knub at the end of the bat, and went about 6 inches. I wanted to cry. But finally i settled down got loose, and hit the most beautiful ball that i think has ever been hit. Well it felt like it. It actually rolled over the top of the wall. But it was a home run. A few swings later i got a piece of another one that made the first one look like a texas leaguer. It was by far the farthest ball I have ever hit. Yeah...I only hit two out yesterday, but i cant describe how good it felt to hit the baseball again. My brother beat me, he had three. But even pitching the ball to him was exciting. My mom and dad even came out to watch us hit. They never do that. Last night I felt great and today I feel like a 85 year old man. Soooo sore.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if no one reads that whole thing. I just had to write about it. I love my life right now. I am me! I sat down today and wrote out what i am going to do with my life. They are goals, that I want to achieve over the next five years. All of them are mine. I didn't base them on anyone else, or anyone else's expectations for me. That is a huge step. For some reason I have a confidence that I have never had before. I know everything is going to work out. I am just so happy to be here, and so happy that you took the time to read this whole novel. Happy Sandwich Day

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home